Buy a Book and Build a Library
- Gender Equality. Our collection are of 10 books. 5 of them are about male leading characters and 5 about women leading characters.
- Building Empathy. Our books are inspired by true stories so readers can learn and identify with the people from Katab and their culture.
- Economic Empowerment. The people from Katab are co-creators of the book, and their royalties from book sales will fund local educational programs chosen by them. The first project identified as a need is the construction of a library.
- Responsibly Sourced. Our books are high quality and colorfully printed with soy based ink and FSC-certified recycled paper from responsible sources.
- Connecting Readers. With every purchase the customer can help us choose one for for the library. Our readers will view the world of the people from Katab through one of our books, and they will view the reader's world through their favorite book.
“I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.” – Jorge Luis Borges
Alejandro Hill, a premier architect in Mexico, volunteered his expertise to help create the library’s design, and together with the people of Katab, we will build it.
The library will not only lend books but serve as a multi-purpose community space for storytelling, theater, classes, or just as a place to read in.
There will be small windows all around the library to help save energy by using more natural light and to also help keep it cool.
It will be built with locally purchased materials: cement, sand, gravel, and reclaimed wood.
It will have an open space for a larger room so there can be storytelling or reading outdoors.
There will be a chalkboard for kids to paint book characters on or to have an open class with.
It will be 380 square feet.
It will contain over 1,500 books that you will help us choose.
Three women from Katab volunteered to staff the library and to help the children select books. They will also monitor book lending and organization, keep the space safe and clean, and work to develop community activities.